Wednesday, April 05, 2006

April love

The Winter of 1973 has gone and Spring arrived. It was so very pleasant going out in the warmer weather. Easter was late that year and we went for a long weekend in Derbyshire.
We stayed at a country hotel only 20 miles away from home but we thoroughly enjoyed the change.
I love Derbyshire and I took great delight in telling Iris all about the places we went to. I showed her all over the Peak District; the Rocking Stones at Rowsley, the Nine Ladies at Stanton-in-the-Peak, the Petrifying Well at Matlock Bath, Riber Castle nature reserve and the Peak Cavern in Castleton.
We crammed an awful lot into those three days and Iris was so very happy that weekend. It was the first time she’d been away and stayed in an hotel. It was another world to her at the time. It was one of many weekends we would have like this over the years. There are still places all over the country that I have never returned to. I wouldn’t enjoy them any more.

No comments: