Monday, February 06, 2006

"I love you, Graeme!"

Friday, Feb 23rd 1973…
I had set off from Falmouth and had been driving since 10am that morning. It was around 7pm I arrived back at Iris’s home. She had cooked me a wonderful meal and I was so very hungry as I’d only stopped two or three times on the journey for fuel, coffee and snack and a toilet stop. After the meal, I went for a much-needed soak in the bath. I find a bath is far more relaxing to remove aches and cramps than a shower. Anyway, Iris didn’t have a shower unit at the time! I went downstairs and fell asleep on the settee. I woke an hour later to find Iris next to me with her head on my shoulder. I felt much better for the rest. She told me that she wanted me to stay the night; I didn’t take much persuading! It was the very first time I’d slept in her bed and tired as I was, we made love so very, very ardently.
Up to now, Iris had never really been very demonstrative but that night, lying side by side, she suddenly leaned over me and said, “I love you, Graeme!” It was the first time she’d ever uttered those words! That night, I swore I would love her until the day I died. It was a promise I never broke and I still love her to this day!
This is not the end of the story by any means. It was, however, the start of a loving relationship that would last until her death. Every year, we celebrated our anniversary on St. Valentine’s Day and I always composed a poem for her on those occasions.
The next morning was a Saturday so no need for us to get up early; we just made love again and again. I wrote another poem to her after a late breakfast. It was just a spontaneous thing but Iris was beginning to love my romantic poetic streak. It was the third of many that I wrote.


To Iris, wanting you so much. Feb 1973

My darling Iris, lover of my dreams,
Sitting together in the soft firelight glow,
I look at you from my heart, it seems
To see the rapture in your beauty show.

We have made love; you and I together,
A perfect love I thought I never knew.
And I’ll remember nights like this forever,
Will you, will you, my love, remember too?

I think of you and dream of what might be,
And someday hope at least that you will know
That little spark of love you have for me,
Will stay within your heart and surely grow.

My sweetest Iris, think of me this way;
As one who loves you with such tender care,
And when we are together, darling, say
You’ll give to me that love which you can spare.

No comments: