Friday, February 03, 2006

Diaries

I recently had someone ask me how I could remember so many little details of events that happened over 30 years ago. I told them the absolute truth that I was a confirmed diarist and have kept a daily diary since Adam was a lad!
It comes in very handy at times when writing about things past and is also useful in settling minor arguments sometimes. Naturally, I kept a diary all through the Iris years and I sometimes go through them just to reminisce.
After her death, I found a couple of diaries that Iris had kept. There were just two of them; the rest had been cleared out by her sister. I could never bring myself to look at them for years but one day, I sat down and saw what she had written; I cried my eyes out! She described how she felt about me, how she loved me and how she was content in only ever having half of me. She described our first lovemaking and our first holiday away together. They were diaries from 1973 and 1978. In the 1978 diary, she still recorded trivial events just as she did when we first met six years previously.
In 1973, she even earmarked a day when we had made love for the 100th time! (August 27th, Bank Holiday Monday) That was Iris; so loving, so warm!
She made a note of every time I wrote her a poem and what she thought of it. She must have mentioned the fact that she loved me almost every day! She should have lived forever!

No comments: