Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Old movies

I’m not a great lover of TV and I loathe and despise sit-coms, celebrity programmes and pop!
Consequently, there isn’t a lot to hold my attention. It was for that reason, I bought a digi-box in order to access channels showing old films from the 30s to the 50s.
I love the old black and white stuff; Basil Rathbone playing Sherlock Holmes, for instance. In my opinion, he was the epitome of that character and nobody else has ever surpassed him. I also like the old gangster films with James Cagney, Broderick Crawford, etc. Incidentally, Cagney never once said, “You dirty rat!” Following on from that, Sherlock Holmes never said, “Elementary, my dear Watson” and Bogart never said “Play it again, Sam” in the film, Casablanca.
But once, just once, Boris Karloff actually did say, “Doctor, can you fix my face?” (Before I Hang, 1940)
I loved Abbott and Costello; they were one of my favourite double-acts. I used to crease myself watching the Three Stooges too! However, my all-time favourite actor was Humphrey Bogart; he was the best! One of my favourite films is To Have and Have Not, starring Bogart and an unknown 18 year-old girl called Lauren Bacall (real name, Betty Joan Perske) in her first film. The chemistry they created in some of the scenes was electric! Later, they married and stayed together until Bogart died in 1957.
They made only four films together. To have and Have Not, Key Largo, Desperate Journey and The Big Sleep. Yes, the old films were absolutely marvellous! No hidden messages, no overriding loud music score, just simple entertainment!
This theme of old movies has possibilities. I’m sure that there are people out there who remember these old-time greats! I think I shall continue with this thread and see how it shapes up.
Last weekend, the digi-box packed up! I went to the store and got a replacement under guarantee but it was a different make. On returning home, I tried to connect it…. I tried and tried and tried.
Is there a bright eight-year old reading this somewhere ‘cos I bet he could fix it in ten seconds flat!!!

I’ve been using the same scanner for the past five years. It has done excellent service and produces first-class results. It’s a Hewlett-Packard scanjet 4300c model and I have been more than satisfied with it. Recently, however, it has been acting up inasmuch that the images have been distorted and it is now virtually useless. Upon enquiring at my local supplier, the answer was, “If it’s five years old, dump it and get another!” Such is the world of consumerism these days!
It looks as though I’ll have to fork out for a replacement in the immediate future although I’m undecided just what to get at the moment.
Any suggestions out there?

No comments: