Friday, January 13, 2006

The good, the bad and the ugly!

You will notice that a visitor counter and a tag board have been installed on my blog. I'm greatly indebted to a young friend who set this up for me as the finer points of PC management are a mystery to me; probably, I'm of the wrong generation!
Indeed, whenever I need the DVD player or TV to be re-tuned, I automatically ask the nearest eight-year-old!
This was the good bit.

Going back to January 1973, I remember that this weekend was fraught with disappointment and frustration. It was, I recall, mostly of my own doing.
The weekend started out fine. A new novelty had opened in Wakefield, it was a bierkeller. They became quite popular in the 70s but this was the first one I'd been to in this country. Naturally, having worked in Germany for a few years in the 60s, I was no stranger to this type of entertainment and Iris and I went out there for the evening. She hadn't seen anything like it before and she really enjoyed it. We drove back late that night and this is where I blew it!
I stopped for a quick coffee before going home and I became a little too amorous. It had been a wonderful night and I made a clumsy pass at her. My fault entirely and all the pleasure of the evening was replaced by a frosty "Goodnight!"
Saturday morning, I had to go into work but called in on Iris after lunch. She was very cool towards me and I offered an apology. It was grudgingly accepted but there was a definite chill in the atmosphere.
This was the bad bit!

I've been looking at a web-site that allows you to vote for the things considered to be most representative of England. (http://www.icons.org.uk/)
I voted (among others) for St. George, Nelson's Column and the Tower of London.
At the same time, I voted against the Notting Hill Carnival, Aldermaston Marches, Brighton Gay Pride March and the foul brainwashing multicultural soap, Eastenders!
That was the ugly bit!

Today is Friday the 13th... As a matter of absolutely no interest whatsoever, people who suffer from a fear of Friday the 13th have paraskevidekatriaphobia.
People who suffer from a fear of the number thirteen have triskaidekaphobia.
Not many people know that... Or even care!!!

No comments: